And, at long last, we’ve come to the current end of the state series. If I was an unimaginative teenager, I’d say something like, “what a long, strange trip it’s been.” But, since I’m a man of refined taste, I’ll say it was a lot like Frodo and Samwise on their quest to deliver the ring to Mt. Doom. Only with less hobbits. And magic. And swelling orchestral music.
Ok, you know what? Maybe it’s not like The Lord of the Rings at all. But I at least tried to make a metaphor out of it, gosh-darn it. And trying is half the battle.
Anyway, here’s two more collections of facts for you!
- At nearly three million acres, San Bernardino County is the largest county in the United States
- The Hollywood Bowl is the world’s largest outdoor amphitheater
- The first motion picture theater opened in Los Angeles on April 2, 1902
- If California’s economic size were measured by itself to other countries, it’d rank as the 7th largest economy in the world
- California is the birthplace of the Frisbee, Barbie dolls and skateboards
- It’s a misdemeanor to shoot any type of game from a moving vehicle aside from whales
- Vice-leader Joseph Spinney, considered by many to be one of the most corrupt politicians ever in office, was mayor for only ten minutes
- Fresno California is the raisin capital of the world
- And speaking of capitals, Castroville is known as the Artichoke capital of the world. In 1947 a woman by the name of Norma Jean won the coveted title of Artichoke Queen. She went on to become Marilyn Monroe
- One out of eight United State citizens live in California
- Johnny Cash was born in Kingsland
- A southern version of Big Foot, called the Boggy Creek Monster, is rumored to hunt near Fouke, Arkansas. Said to be well over seven feet tall, it’s been said that it actively kills chicken, cattle, and dogs
- Wal-Mart was funded in Bentonville
- Pine Bluff is the world center of archery bow production
- The Great Passion Play in Eureka Springs is America’s top attended outdoor drama, presenting the miracles, trials, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ
- Mountain View is called the Folk Capital of America. The town continues the way of life early pioneers embrace and openly displays it for visitors from March through October
- The entire town of Eureka springs is a historic district
- But how do you enforce it: It’s illegal for The Arkansas River to rise higher than to the Main Street bridge in Little Rock
- Forty-seven hot springs flow from Hot Springs Mountain, at a sweltering temperatures of up to 143 F
- The Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs is claimed to be the most haunted hotel in the world, with the owners claiming that it houses up to eight different spirits within its halls.